On April 3rd, 2009, the email from Apple “Your application status is Ready for Sale” meant that the iPhone finally had a barcode scanner app and that we were in business!
The first iPhone and the iPhone 3G did not have an autofocus camera, which made barcode scanning very difficult (many said impossible). Some image processing tricks and a lot of experimentation made it a reality. Truth be told, the first version did not work that well, and used non-documented iPhone APIs with sometimes haphazard results. The next iterations were considerably better, thanks to upgraded iOS SDKs and fierce competition from RedLaser.
What started as a side project is now a company that publishes several popular apps and licenses barcode scanner SDKs for iOS, Android and Windows Phone to clients on four continents!
In a nutshell:
- Pic2shop: scan any product’s barcode and instantly get prices, links to stores, public libraries and all useful info on one screen. Also for QR codes.
- Barcode Scanner HD: the same fast scanner and independent results as pic2shop, optimized for iPad.
- Barcode Library: quickly catalog all your books, games, CDs, videos with our world-class barcode scanner.
- Pic2shop PRO: build your own barcode app with your own web server
- VSBarcodeReader and VSReaderQR: native SDKs for iOS, Android and Windows Phone 8.
To celebrate, all our apps are 50% off or free today and tomorrow. Enjoy!